The University of Chicago is launching a new design for UChicago News, bringing together the latest in digital media, audience engagement and mobile design to tell the story of the University.
The redesigned news.uchicago.edu delivers an immersive experience that elevates digital storytelling and encourages exploration of the ideas, people and events that define UChicago. Digital design firm IfThen led the project, building on its past work with such news and content providers as National Geographic, the Weather Channel and NBC Sports.
“UChicago News is built to match the deep and diverse story of the University, bringing to higher education the best of what we’ve learned from leading news and content sites. The new design meets people on whatever device they prefer and encourages them to explore and learn more about UChicago in a way that’s engaging, immersive and intuitive,” said Paul M. Rand, Vice President for Communications at the University.
UChicago News will continue to deliver the latest news about the University and its students, faculty and alumni, while providing new ways to explore the University through video, podcasts, curated content and tailored features. The site includes:
- Delivery of a wider range of content by integrating traditional news and features with digital storytelling through increased visuals, podcasts, videos and live programming. In the weeks ahead, the site will begin to roll out a new section dedicated to curated content on topics from the field-defining Chicago school of economics to emerging areas such as quantum technologies.
- A dynamic design that encourages further exploration. The approach provides an intuitive way to delve into the people, impact, discoveries and history of the University. This includes reimagining story pages—the way in which a majority of visitors arrive at UChicago News—by connecting these individual pages to the homepage through an innovative scroll that enables seamless exploration.
- Creating new ways to tell the University’s distinct story through site features such as Around UChicago, which highlights the diverse digital content coming from schools, divisions and other partners, and Only At UChicago, which provides quotes and historical moments that tell the University’s story.
- Launching new ways to feature University faculty and their work in the field, classroom or lab. This includes reimagining how the site highlights faculty expertise, research breakthroughs and media appearances. There are new resources for reporters and producers that bring together breaking news and the deep expertise of UChicago faculty.
- A central hub to follow and become part of the social conversation around UChicago, integrating such platforms as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter into the site experience.
- A dedicated home for podcasting, featuring such University podcasts as Big Brains and Knowledge Applied and podcasts from around campus including Open Stacks and Radio Harris.