Highway closure during Convocation: Information for driving to Hyde Park
A major part of the Kennedy Expressway (Interstate 90/94) in downtown Chicago will be closed during Convocation weekend for a bridge demolition. Officials expect severe traffic disruption and have urged drivers to avoid I-90/94.
Visitors coming to Hyde Park from Chicago O’Hare International Airport can take Interstate 294 South from the airport, then take Interstate 55 North to Lake Shore Drive, and drive south to the UChicago exits at 53rd or 57th streets. From the north or downtown Chicago, drive south on Lake Shore Drive to the UChicago exits.
The Kennedy Expressway will be closed from 10 p.m. on Friday, June 13 until Monday, June 16 at 5 a.m. No single route will be designated as an alternate, because of the volume of traffic on the expressway. Specific closures are as follows:
- Over I-90/94 East and reversible lanes
- I-90/94 East (from Chicago to Grand avenues)
- Westbound Ontario Street to I-90/94 East entrance ramp
- I-90/94 East to eastbound Ohio Street exit ramp
- Augusta Boulevard entrance ramp
- Division Street entrance ramp
- Jackson Boulevard entrance ramp
Guests traveling to Convocation by car can avoid congestion on I-90/94 by planning an alternate route and budgeting extra travel time, or by taking public transit.
Follow UChicago’s social media sites, news feeds and mobile suite.