One year into the public phase of The University of Chicago Campaign: Inquiry and Impact, the global effort has surpassed 60 percent of its fundraising goal, with alumni, parents, families and friends coming together to raise $2.74 billion for the University to date.
The University of Chicago Campaign will raise $4.5 billion by 2019 in support of goals that include support for faculty and researchers, distinctive educational opportunities for students at all levels, and programs that broaden the University’s local and global reach and impact.
In addition to the fundraising goal, the campaign seeks to engage 125,000 alumni in the life of the University through such activities as giving, volunteering, and attending University events. The campaign has made strong progress in alumni engagement, with more than 56,000 alumni taking part in activities related to the University in the last year.
“The continued commitment of our alumni, parents, families, and friends helps ensure that the University’s distinctive education and scholarship will flourish, and its impact will continue to grow,” said University President Robert J. Zimmer. “We are deeply grateful for their investment in the University’s future, and to the board of trustees for their continued leadership.”
Leadership of the campaign includes two newly named co-chairs: University Trustees Emily Nicklin, AB’75, JD’77, and Dennis Keller, MBA’68, who succeed Joe Neubauer, MBA’65. In May, Neubauer succeeded Andrew Alper, AB'80, MBA'81, as chairman of the Board of Trustees.
The campaign’s achievements to date include:
- 41 percent of College alumni donated in the past year, which is among the highest undergraduate alumni giving rates nationwide.
- University trustees continue to be among the University’s most committed donors; to date, trustees have donated more than $875 million to the University since the start of the campaign.
- To recognize donors who have given consecutively for three or more years, the University launched the Maroon Loyalty Society, with more than 24,000 qualifying alumni. The Maroon Loyalty Society joins the Phoenix, Chicago, and Harper philanthropic societies in recognizing UChicago donors.
- Thousands of alumni worldwide connected with University scholars and students through Discover UChicago events and Harper Lectures.
- The University’s first giving day, 24Hour Impact, spurred a record rate of donations for UChicago—96 donors per hour.