Classes and Events to Resume Tuesday

Date: November 30, 2015

To: University of Chicago Campus Community

From: Robert J. Zimmer, President

Subject: Classes and Events to Resume Tuesday

The FBI has concluded their investigation into the threat against the University of Chicago.  As we indicated earlier, a suspect has been arrested and this afternoon the United States Attorney’s Office announced that charges have been brought against the individual who is suspected of posting the threat online.

In light of this, normal operations will resume on Tuesday, December 1 for the University, the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, the University of Chicago Charter School campuses, the University libraries, the Quadrangle Club, residential and dining facilities, and other campus facilities and functions. The University will leave additional security presence in place through the end of the Autumn Quarter.

We are deeply grateful to the University of Chicago Police Department, the FBI, the Chicago Police Department, and other law enforcement offices for their timely, professional, and effective response to this security concern. We are also indebted to our elected officials for their support. I want to express my great admiration for and appreciation of members of our community — including faculty, students, staff, and friends — for their mutually supportive and thoughtful approach in what has been a challenging day.

I wish you all a successful and safe conclusion to the Autumn Quarter.