Messages to campus about the death of student Nicholas Barnes

University leaders have sent the following emails informing members of the campus community about the death of third-year Nicholas Barnes. The first email was sent to all University faculty, students and staff. The second was sent to faculty, students and staff of the College:

To: The campus community
From: Karen Warren Coleman, Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services
Subject: Student death
Date: February 16, 2014

I am writing with the terribly sad news that Nicholas Brastins Barnes, a third-year student in the College, was found deceased in his room at International House on Saturday afternoon. The cause of death is under investigation by the Chicago Police Department, but there is no evidence of foul play. University staff are making every effort to understand the circumstances surrounding Nicholas’ death.

Our thoughts are with Nicholas’ family and friends, the Booth House community, residents and staff of I-House, and all who are touched by this loss. Nicholas was an excellent student, admired by faculty and peers alike. The Student Counseling Service (SCS) and Spiritual Life staff are working together to provide support to students and community members affected by Nicholas’ death.

Nicholas’ family is planning a funeral in Pittsburgh, where he grew up. There will also be a campus memorial so that we may gather together to remember Nicholas. We will share more information as it becomes available.

Karen

For more information on available support:

To: The College Community
From: Susan Art, Dean of Students
Subject: Sad news
Date: February 16, 2014

It is with great sadness that I write to inform you of the death of Nicholas Barnes. Nicholas was a third-year student in the College, majoring in Germanic Studies. He was found deceased in his room in Booth House at International House yesterday afternoon. The cause of death is under investigation, but there is no evidence of foul play.

Nick will be painfully missed. He was an excellent student, admired by faculty and peers alike. He studied abroad in the College’s Vienna program in fall quarter of 2012. On campus he was a resident of Halperin House in his first year, and then, upon returning from study abroad, moved to Booth House. He was involved with our campus literary publication Sliced Bread.

There are a number of places on campus where students can find help in dealing with this tragic news. Counselors at the Student Counseling Service, located at 5737 S. University Avenue, are available to speak with you, either by scheduled appointment (773-702-9800), or as an emergency walk-in. After hours, a therapist on call can be reached by phoning this number. The residence staff in Housing are also good resources, as are advisers in my office. The leaders of the various spiritual life communities also will be available for students.

Nick’s family is planning a funeral in Pittsburgh, which is where Nick grew up. There will also be a campus memorial for Nick so that we can gather to remember him and mourn our loss as a community.