Employees urged to verify dependents on benefit plans

From: E. Gwynne Dilday, AVP, Human Resources
Date: June 15, 2009

Subject:   Verification of Dependent Eligibility

As part of our continuing effort to effectively manage our benefit plans, The University of Chicago (“the University”) is verifying the eligibility of all dependents enrolled in the University’s medical and/or dental benefit plans.

The University’s goal with this process is to verify that only dependents who are eligible have coverage.  This verification process will help us effectively manage our benefit plan costs so we can maintain affordable plans for all faculty, other academic personnel and staff.

What You Need to Do

If You Have Dependents Enrolled in University Benefit Plans

If you have a dependent enrolled in the University’s medical and/or dental plans, you will receive a Verification Packet during the week of June 22.  This packet will include:

  • Cover letter explaining the verification process.
  • The University’s Definition of Dependent Eligibility to help you confirm whether your enrolled dependents are eligible for the University’s benefits coverage.
  • Frequently Asked Questions document that will help answer commonly asked questions regarding the verification process.
  • Certification of Dependent Eligibility Form asks you to verify that your enrolled dependents are eligible for University coverage. If you have any ineligible dependents on file, you may voluntarily remove these dependents by completing the form and returning it by Friday, July 17.

IT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO COMPLETE AND RETURN THE CERTIFICATION OF DEPENDENT ELIGIBILITY FORM BY FRIDAY, JULY 17.  IF YOU FAIL TO COMPLETE THE VERIFICATION PROCESS, YOUR DEPENDENTS WILL BE TERMINATED FROM THE UNIVERSITY’S MEDICAL AND/OR DENTAL BENEFIT PLANS ON MONDAY, AUGUST 31.

Note: You will receive a Verification Packet only if you have dependents enrolled in the University’s medical, and/or dental benefit plans.

* If you should miss the July 17 deadline, you will be given additional opportunities to verify your dependents prior to their coverage being terminated on August 31, however, you will be asked to provide documentation of your covered dependents (e.g., marriage license for your spouse and birth certificate for your children).  For your convenience, you may avoid providing this documentation by returning the dependent certification form by July 17.

Questions

If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact the Benefits Office at benefits@uchicago.edu.