Message from Vice President for Campus Life and Dean of Students

To: University Students, Faculty, and Staff
From: Kimberly Goff-Crews: kmgoffcrews@uchicago.edu
Subject: November 4 Election Viewing

Dear University of Chicago Students, Faculty, and Staff:

On Tuesday, November 4, the country will take part in an historic election. Throughout the year I have been impressed with the diversity of views expressed on our campus and the contributions to the electoral process made by students, faculty, and staff. For those of you who are interested in joining other members of the University community to watch election news coverage and returns, I invite you to stop by the Reynolds Club on Tuesday, November 4, between 9 a.m. and midnight (or later if the results are not final). Televisions will also be available in the campus dining halls during Tuesday’s dining hours.

Televisions will be set up throughout the Reynolds Club including the McCormick Tribune Lounge, C-Shop, Hutchinson Commons, and Hallowed Grounds. At 7 p.m., the Office of the Reynolds Club and Student Activities in conjunction with Student Government, UC Democrats and College Republicans will be sponsoring an election night party with free food and family friendly activities for graduate students, faculty, and staff with children.

In addition, on Monday, November 3, C-SPAN will be on campus between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. in Hutchinson Courtyard behind the Reynolds Club to interview members of our community about their views of the election as part of C-SPAN's YouTube Channel and Washington Journal coverage. Since the beginning of the campaign, C-SPAN's two Campaign 2008 Buses have crossed the country following candidates on the campaign trail. On Monday, the buses will conclude their travels when they arrive in Phoenix and Chicago.

If you would like more information about these and other on-campus election related events please visit http://www.uchicago.edu/ throughout the week.

For those of you planning to head downtown the evening of November 4, we suggest using the METRA or CTA given the significant traffic expected in the area.

Finally, as the election approaches, the University is receiving a high number of requests from media outlets to visit campus and talk to faculty, students, and staff. We anticipate that there might be media on campus throughout the next several days. If you wish to speak to reporters, you are more than welcome to, but you should not feel obligated to do so. If you have any concerns about talking to reporters and/or would like advice, please feel free to contact the University News Office at 702-8360 or skloehn@uchicago.edu.

For general information on voting on Election Day, please visit http://www.chicagoelections.com/. With such an important election, I hope you will consider taking the time to vote.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Goff-Crews
Vice President for Campus Life and Dean of Students in the University